Spinach Pasty with Feta
450 gr Spinach
2x packages Puff Pastry (Bladerdeeg)
1 block of Feta (150g)
2 tbsp Olive Oil
Salt & Pepper
Small amount of milk
Instructions for the rolled puff pastry:
1. Heat up 1 tbsp olive oil in a large skillet and fry the spinach until soft, add salt & pepper and set aside to cool.
2. Line your baking tray with baking paper and set aside.
3. Unroll the puff pastry on a flat surface and using a pizza slicer cut each pastry in 12 pieces, so you will end up with 24 smaller rectangles.
4. Then top each piece with about 0.5 tbsp of cooked spinach and 1 cm of fresh feta.
5. Using your hands fold over the pastry to enclose the filling and pressing or rolling the edges to seal the sides.
6. Place on the baking tray, brush with olive oil and bake in the oven at 230 Celsius for about 20-30 minutes until nice and golden.
7. Enjoy as breakfast on the go or as a quick snack.
As a variation of the above and if you’re using the square pastry you can also make them the following way (which is how I, Jessica, always make them). I would recommend using one bag of spinach (450gr) for one pack of pastry:
1. Fry the spinach until soft, set aside to cool. Once it’s cooled I always squeeze out the excess water using my hands because it holds a lot of water.
2. Fry some leak and spring onion until its nice and soft, then set aside.
3. In a pan combine the spinach, leak and spring onion. Add 1 egg and some aromat to taste and stir well. Set aside to cool.
4. Lay out the square pastry with the lighlty powdered side on the bottom.
5. Once the mixture has cooled enough you can crumble some feta in it and stir so every bit of spinach has some of that delicious feta.
6. Then put a small portion of the mixture on each piece of pastry ( i usually use a tablespoon, but you can make them as fat or thin as you want).
7. Fold over the pastry so you end up with a triangle shape and using a fork seal the edges shut
8. Place the pasties on a lined baking tray and using a brush spread a little bit of milk over the top. Bake in oven at about 200 celsius until golden.